Aging adults today are inundated with a lot of healthcare technologies for seniors aimed at bettering their independence and safety and providing life enhancement. At a touch of a button or two, they can immediately pay a visit “in person” with friends and family through Skype, wear a pendant that connects with emergency help and support when required, and even remain safe from getting lost with specialized sensors attached to clothes or shoes are just a few of the ways seniors can use technology to enhance their lives.
The question becomes how to encourage older adults (and those who care for them) to use healthcare technologies and switch from a low-tech mindset to making use of all that’s available to them, something that’s always top of mind for us at Complete Care at Home. A recent Caring.com survey indicated that as few as 15% of families are actually using healthcare technology.
Several typical hurdles:
• Stigma. Some people see the use of some healthcare technologies for seniors, such as medical alert pendants, as equal to a loss of their self-reliance.
• Help. Troubleshooting problems with technology leads to many older adults and their caregivers to give up on trying to make gadgets work.
• Time. Carving out time to learn and attempt something new is very challenging for busy families who care for their loved ones.
If you’d like to try to incorporate healthcare technology into senior caregiving but are encountering these complications, call on Complete Care at Home, providers of personal care services in Santa Barbara and nearby areas, for assistance. Our proficient and patient caregivers can help conquer the technological hurdles by:
• Making recommendations for technology that fit a senior’s personality and issues
• Setting up and providing education on how to use the technology
Whether it is teaching someone how to enjoy applications on a tablet device, or setting up a personal medical alert system, we can keep seniors connected to friends and family and help them enjoy life to the fullest. Call us any time at (805) 727-3445 to learn more about personal care services in Santa Barbara and surrounding communities.