Taking care of an older loved one, while incredibly fulfilling, can also lead to an elevated level of caregiver stress. The full-time pressure of meeting a loved one’s care needs can very quickly escalate to turn into caregiver burnout – a dangerous concern that can lead to a loss of patience and emotional outbursts, having an effect on not only the caregiver personally, but the senior loved one. Luckily, respite care can help prevent caregiver burnout.
It’s important to determine if you could possibly be in danger of acquiring caregiver burnout, and to locate help if needed. The following set of questions from our expert providers of home care in Santa Barbara and surrounding areas can help you learn if you may have crossed the line from caregiver stress into caregiver burnout:
- Do you no longer find enjoyment in activities or interests?
- Are you struggling with back pain, headaches, fatigue, and/or feeling sad or depressed?
- Are you becoming sick more often than in the past?
- Is your temper shorter lately, with the older person or other family and friends, either in private or in public?
- Do you lash out at your senior loved one when he or she displays concerning behaviors?
- Do you feel more emotional lately? Are you crying for little or no reason?
- Have you gained or lost weight without trying?
- Do you have problems with falling or staying asleep?
If your answers to these questions are concerning, it might be time to consider seeking help in order to prevent caregiver burnout, for the sakes of both yourself and your senior loved one.
At Complete Care at Home, our specially trained and experienced care professionals can share the load by providing in-home respite care services – for just a few hours each week, full-time, around-the-clock care, or anything in between. Respite care offers a much-needed break to tend to your own personal needs, enjoy some downtime to relax, and to empower you to be better equipped to provide the highest quality care for your senior loved one.
Just some of the numerous ways we can help include:
- Friendly companionship for conversations and fun activities
- Preparing healthy meals
- Fall assessment and prevention
- Helping with housecleaning and laundry
- Assistance with bathing and hygiene
- Picking up groceries and running other errands
- Providing accompanied transportation to medical appointments and outings
- And more
To learn more about our home care services in Santa Barbara and nearby areas, contact Complete Care at Home online or call us at (805) 727-3445. Partnering with our highly skilled care team means you’re never alone!