An incredible number of individuals nationwide are finding themselves in a position of providing elder care for an older family member, and while being a family caregiver is very fulfilling in many ways, the everyday duties involved with senior care can become tedious for both the caregiver and the care recipient. Complete Care at Home, providers of the highly skilled home care in Santa Barbara & nearby areas, wants to help you put the fun back in your loved one’s day-to-day routine. All it takes is a little inventiveness! Try some of these ideas to help brighten your loved one’s day and make daily senior care more interesting:
These recommendations can add some style and fun to dressing, doing laundry, and other tasks:
- Ask the senior to help with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Make the most of this time to discuss your day, a television show you both like, or other common interest.
- Flip through magazines and catalogs and choose fashions you think the other would look good in.
- Make selecting clothes and accessories to wear every day a fun event.
Spice Up Meals
Food is part of our culture, family history and traditions, and is associated with numerous emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Involving the senior in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the older person to assist in making a traditional family meal.
- Enjoying meals outdoors when weather permits.
Try Something New
There’s always something new to be learned, and no better time than now to try a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are a variety of virtual classes available, with some targeted particularly to older adults and offering reduced (or no-cost) rates. Look for possibilities to learn:
- A new language.
- How to play a musical instrument.
- Skills such as knitting, cooking, gardening, drawing – the options are limitless!
Elder care experts at Complete Care at Home know that providing care for an older loved one can be both rewarding and intimidating, and we want you to know that you are not alone. As a leading home caregiver agency with trusted services that Santa Barbara area seniors deserve, we offer quality companionship, personal care services such as showering, dressing, and grooming, respite care, and motivation to engage in a variety of enriching activities.
Contact us at 805-727-3445 to learn more about personalized options for a home health aid in Santa Barbara or the surrounding communities to brighten up everyday life for a senior you love. See our full service area including Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.