A mother’s love for her kids knows no age restrictions. And parents of all ages want more than anything to protect their children from troubles, which at times may mean covering up their own concerns. Furthermore, when loved ones live far away, it can be hard to really know for certain just how healthy aging parents are.
One of the main issues of growing older is the decline in satisfying the nutritional requirements for seniors. If you believe your aging loved ones might not be getting the nutrients they need to stay healthy and well, this simple evaluation can help uncover possible red flags:
- Has the senior revealed a loss of appetite, concerns with food digestion, or chewing or swallowing difficulties? Has there been a reduction in food ingestion over the past few months due to this?
- Has the senior encountered a weight reduction over the past several months? Losing weight, specifically for seniors with a more inactive way of life, can signify that the person is not eating properly.
- Does your loved one have a problem with mobility? Being restricted to the home can cause nutritional challenges, as it’s more challenging to get groceries or prepare meals.
- Has the older adult been under mental stress or suffered from an acute disease in the last few months?
- What is your senior loved one’s body mass index (BMI)? A BMI of 18.5 or less may suggest that the person is not eating enough, while a BMI of 30 or higher can indicate obesity.
If you determine through answering these questions that a loved one could be experiencing problems with nutrition, it’s a good idea to check with his or her doctor. Complete Care at Home can also help enhance health and wellbeing for older adults through services such as:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Transportation to medical appointments, tests, and procedures
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Medication reminders
- And many other
As the experts in home care in Santa Barbara, our caregivers are compassionate, background screened and available for as much or as little care as desired. You can get in touch with us online or call our care team at (805) 727-3445 to learn more. See our full service area here.