There is currently a top priority for hospitals: lowering readmissions for high-risk patients. Healthcare Financial Management Association’s article “Two Ways Hospitals Can Reduce Avoidable Readmissions” reports that effective initiatives from several hospitals with lower 30-day rehospitalizations are, to a certain degree, the result of participating with inpatient and outpatient care providers, such as Complete Care at Home, which can furnish a continuum of care.
The hospitals cited in the article provided the guidelines below to help lower re-hospitalizations:
- Start planning for a patient’s discharge from a hospital visit on the day of admission. When an older person is admitted to the hospital, call a home care agency, like Complete Care at Home, to put a plan in place for in-home care upon being discharged. Patient outcomes are better when home care services are available as soon as possible after discharge.
- Identify patients who might be at high risk for issues after discharge for extra care coordination and/or case management services. (Ensure social workers visit all patients age 80 and older to provide assistance with care needs.)
- Utilize technology to evaluate, track, or refer patients.
- Complete a thorough evaluation of the patient’s risk factors, care needs, available resources, understanding and management of the disease or condition, and extent of family support.
At Complete Care at Home, trusted providers of senior caregivers in Montecito and the surrounding communities, we realize that there are many benefits of care coordination and it’s essential to develop a transitional care plan to reduce the risk of hospital readmissions for seniors. We help seniors plan for care needs starting on day one of their hospital stay, monitoring their health and ensuring that care plans are put in place as soon as they return home. Contact us at 805-727-3445 to discover more about how we can help the seniors you love transition from hospital to home through professional home care services like:
- Providing training and help with chronic disease management
- Medication reminders so meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Assisting with coordination and balance
- And more
Avoid an unnecessary follow-up hospital visit by enlisting the help of one of our compassionate caregivers in Montecito and the surrounding communities. Reach out to Complete Care at Home for assistance today or to learn more about the benefits of care coordination!