Beginning a routine exercise schedule is daunting at any age. Physical exercise is tiring. We don’t want to expend the time. We’re feeling sore from yesterday’s workout. We’ve all made excuses such as these for avoiding physical fitness; but frailty and advanced age make it even more challenging to remain faithful to a senior exercise regimen and maintain fitness.
Complete Care at Home, the top providers of home care in Goleta and the surrounding areas, is here to help seniors continue to be more physically active with ideas to overcome common senior exercise obstacles:
- Self-confidence: It’s common for seniors to feel some measure of stress with the idea of reaching exercise goals. It can be beneficial to start slowly with exercises that are easily accomplished and progress slowly; and, motivate the senior with frequent encouragement.
- Attitude: Attitude is key when it comes to physical exercise. If approached in a negative way, it will be much more challenging to stick with an effective exercise plan. Opt for activities that will be enjoyable and that the older person will look forward to.
- Pain: The expression, “No pain, no gain” actually isn’t true. Seniors should avoid overdoing it, and cut back the intensity level if feeling pain or discomfort.
- Disabilities: Older individuals with physical or cognitive limitations can and should continue to remain active according to their ability level. Seek the advice of the doctor for a referral to a personal trainer or physical therapist who can plan a program of specialized exercises.
- Fear of Injury/Balance Problems: There are a variety of assistive devices to allow for safe, effective exercising while still maximizing senior fitness.
- Financial Concerns: It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to stay fit! Walking and other simple exercises in and around the house, utilizing common household objects, can be integrated into an exercise plan at little to no cost.
- Fatigue or Illness: Exercises can be personalized to match the older person’s energy level, and he or she may progressively increase the endurance level over time.
Bear in mind that the way to ongoing positive results with a senior exercise plan is to assure your loved one feels comfortable and safe with the strategy and the exercises. If tenderness is experienced in muscles or joints the day after exercising, a lower intensity can be implemented; and check with the doctor if the pain or discomfort persists.
Complete Care at Home’s caregivers will work hand in hand with your loved one’s doctor to establish a safe exercise plan in accordance with his or her abilities to enhance strength, independence, and overall quality of life. Contact us at 805-727-3445 to learn more about the positive effects of daily exercise in improving senior fitness and to learn more about how our home care in Goleta and the surrounding areas can help!